For our cherished seniors, stepping into the bathtub can sometimes be a balancing act — one we’d rather they avoid. That’s where devices like bath boards come into play. They’re like the guardians of bath-time, making sure our seniors enjoy their baths with the same bliss as we do, minus the tightrope act. Intrigued? Read on.
In this article, we will explore essential factors to consider when selecting the ideal bath boards for your elderly. We will also present our top picks available in the market today.
What is a Bath Board:
A bath board is a sturdy platform that spans the width of a bathtub. It allows individuals, especially seniors, to sit while they shower or bathe. This eliminates the need to stand for extended periods or negotiate potentially slippery tub surfaces.
Here are the factors you should pay attention to:
1. Material: Some come in the form of plastic. No kidding! Plastic is a superhero in the world of bath boards. It’s sturdy, easy to clean, and doesn’t mind hanging out in water all day. This makes it especially practical for seniors who might not have the energy for complicated cleaning tasks.
2. Weight: Lighter boards are easier to move but they should have the weight capacity that can support your elderely’s weight. Light doesn’t mean fragile!
3. Surface Grip: The surface of the bath board should be non-slip to prevent accidents. Prefer textured surfaces or those with rubber mats, they better prevent seniors from sliding.
So, think of a bath board as a sturdy stage set over your bathtub. Seniors can sit on this stage, showering or bathing without having to stand or tiptoe on slippery surfaces. Trust me, this is important.
Now, you might be thinking, “Hey, doesn’t a suspended bath seat do the same thing?” Well, yes and no. While similar in purpose, a bath board differs from a suspended bath seat in its design and placement. The former sits atop the edges of the bathtub, while the latter hangs inside the tub, suspended from the sides.
Best Bath Boards For Seniors:
1. Carex Portable Shower & Bath Seat
This Amazon Best Seller is a versatile bathing aid, perfect for those seeking comfort, stability, and flexibility in their showering routine. Made of durable plastic in a sleek white design, it boasts an adjustable width to fit a majority of standard bathtubs ranging from 19″ to 28″. With a contoured seating area, this bench ensures optimum comfort during showers. Additional features like a built-in soap dish, rubber stops to prevent tub scratches, and a 300 lb weight capacity make this a valuable addition to any bathroom.
- Portable design makes it travel-friendly and easy to store.
- Contoured seating area.
- Adjustable width fits most standard bathtubs.
- Rubber stops protect the tub from potential scratches.
- Built-in soap dish with drainage holes.
- May not fit some custom-sized or larger tubs.
- Handle might be obstructive for some users.
Customers have lauded the Carex Portable Shower Bench for its sturdiness and adaptability. Its ability to comfortably fit into clawfoot tubs and older bathtubs is an added advantage. The bench has provided assistance to many, from elderly users, those recovering from surgeries, to individuals undergoing treatment.
Remember, apart from bath boards, there are other assistive devices like standing aids that cater to different situations. Devices such as thigh lifters, while not as widely recognized as other aids, prove indispensable for helping seniors shift their legs. These tools aren’t just beneficial for moving in and out of beds, but they also aid in rising from couches.
In this article, we’ve highlighted the significance of bath boards for the elderly and showcased a top recommendation. It is our sincere hope that this guide assists you in finding the perfect solution for your loved ones.
A seasoned SEO specialist and a writer for gaming, senior well-being, and ride-on toys. With an analytical mind, sharpened by 14 years of experience as a finance controller. His unique ability to create engaging content is only exceeded by his skill in leveraging SEO strategies, a talent driven by his love for numbers and patterns.