Aging can greatly impact the mobility of seniors, sometimes to the point where they require some assistance to maintain balance. This support often comes in the form of standing canes.
However, it is in the bathroom, often overlooked, that poses a significant risk to the safety of older adults. Due to its slippery nature, this space within the home often becomes a hazardous area where the risk of slipping is alarmingly high.
Thus, selecting the right assistive devices, such as bath steps designed for seniors, is very important and can enhance your senior safety and overall quality of life.
We will give in this article the essential points to consider when selecting bathtub steps and then our selection of the best bath steps in the market.
How to select a Bath Step:
The cane accumulates many design ideas and functionalities over generations. Therefore, choosing a suitable cane isn’t as easy as it might seem.
Factors such as color, material, weight, foldability and grip design all can influence the decision of purchase.
We encourage you to involve your senior in the selection process, not only to ensure he is comfortable with the design but also to incorporate his preference in terms of functionality and affordability.
1.Stability: Bath steps should have a broad, sturdy base to provide maximum support when getting in and out of the bathtub.
2.Grip: The bathtub step should feature a non-slip surface to prevent slipping, especially when wet.
3.Height & Adjustability: The step’s height should be suitable for the senior’s specific needs to ensure optimal safety and comfort. Some bath steps offer adjustability in terms of height to provide a more personalized fit.
4.Material Quality: The step’s surface should be made of high-quality, water-resistant material for longevity and to prevent water pooling, which can increase the risk of slips.
5.Weight Capacity: The bath step should have a high weight capacity to provide sufficient support for the senior, especially for heavier individuals.
6.Ergonomics: Prefer bath steps that feature ergonomically designed handles or rails to provide extra support and reduce strain when stepping in and out of the bath.
Safety Recommendations for the Use of Bath Steps:
- Even though bath steps are assistive devices designed to aid stability, seniors should be encouraged to use them mindfully. They should not to exert excessive pressure on the step.
- While bath steps enhance safety, prefer to combine them with handrails or grab bars in the bathroom. Seniors should still use these fixtures for additional support when stepping onto or off the bath step.
- Seniors should maintain a steady, unhurried pace when using the bath step. Rushing can lead to accidents, even with the added stability of the step.
Best Bath Steps For Seniors:
1. Bath Step by Vive
The Bath Step by Vive is a highly secure addition to the bathroom for a safes entry and exit from the tub. This step offers a textured non-slip rubber surface that provides excellent traction. It has a wide base ( 19” x 16.5” ) that offers extra stability to prevent tipping over.
This bath step is made from reinforced composite plastic that supports up to 400 pounds. Further, it has a low-profile rubber feet that keeps it securely in place so prevent from slippage.
- Made from durable and strong composite plastic
- Equipped with low-profile rubber feet for secure placement
- Supports up to 400 lbs
- Offers 4 inches of added height to aid in bathing safely
- Comes with a lifetime guarantee
- Easy to clean: can be wiped down with a wet cloth using mild soap or disinfectant
- Some seniors maybe need additional assistance because of its height.
- “A great, sturdy, long-lasting step. We’ve had this Vive step for at least 4 years now, using it daily as a step, and it’s been incredibly strong and sturdy, and is still like new.” – SandS
- “Perfect for us. I have 6 of the steps and use them in multiple ways. Not only in the shower but, We also stacked 3 in a row and placed a piece of plywood on top and it made a perfect extra step for my father-in-law to get down the steps more comfortably.” – LM
- “Great product. Maybe could be made stackable so one could use more than one at a time.” – PT
2.Step2tub by Step2health
The step2tub by step2health is a durable and stable bath step designed to help seniors and people with mobility issues easily and safely enter and exit their bathtub. Made from strong industrial steel, this step features a large landing base with a non-slip matting for better grip. Additionally, it is equipped with foam-padded handrails on either side, providing additional support and comfort during use. The height of the step can also be adjusted to provide a boost of up to 7.5″. For additional safety, it uses a dual clamp system to lock onto the sides of most standard bathtubs.
- Made from strong industrial steel, ensuring durability
- Non-slip platform provides safety and stability
- Handrails with foam padding offer extra comfort and support
- Height adjustable to provide up to 7.5″ of extra boost
- Easy to assemble
- Its weight might make it a challenge to move around
- “Very sturdy, easy to assemble. Attaches securely to bed rail.” – Eva D
- “It is easy for me to use.” – Kindle Customer
- “Haven’t got it together yet, I fell, am in hospital, hence, why I needed to purchase.” – Cathey Fielding
- “Super fast purchase and delivery less than 24 hours. I am amazed.” – Alergabo
- “My 80-year-old husband has Parkinson’s and was no longer able to climb into our high bed. With this step, he can safely get in and out of bed by himself… This step has been worth every penny! We’ve had it for more than two years now and it still looks new.” – Grandma of 7
Wrap It All
Assistive tools like bath steps are pivotal in enhancing the quality of life for our elderly. In the journey of selecting the ideal tool, it’s paramount to not only focus on functionality but also on other integral factors such as stability, grip, height adjustability, material quality, weight capacity, and ergonomics.
The bath steps we recommend indeed strike a commendable balance among these characteristics.
However, it’s important to note that individual preferences can vary. Hence, seniors themselves should be at the forefront of the selection process, making choices that are in line with their personal comfort, preferences, and financial capacity.
To gain more insights and widen your perspective on these aids, we encourage you to explore our articles about bath standing aids and how to assist a senior with mobility issues. Additionally, if you’re interested in a suspended solution, delve into our piece on the suspended bath seat designed especially for seniors.
A seasoned SEO specialist and a writer for gaming, senior well-being, and ride-on toys. With an analytical mind, sharpened by 14 years of experience as a finance controller. His unique ability to create engaging content is only exceeded by his skill in leveraging SEO strategies, a talent driven by his love for numbers and patterns.