Hence, the right selection of these devices, such as raised toilet seats specially designed for seniors can significantly improve your senior’s wellfare.
In this article, we’ll provide essential points to consider when choosing a raised toilet seat and also present our selection of the best products in the market.
How to Select a Raised Toilet Seat:
Choosing the right raised toilet seat involves understanding various factors such as design, height, comfort, and additional features like armrests. Here are some aspects to consider:
1.Fitting: Raised toilet seats should have secure fitting to the toilet to prevent any wobbling or shifting during use.
2.Height: The additional height should be suitable for the senior’s specific needs. Some seniors will need higher toilet seats some lower. Some seats offer adjustability in terms of height for a more personalized fit.
3.Weight Support: The seat should support the user’s weight.
4.Comfort: The toilet seat should have a comfortable design, perhaps with a contoured surface, to provide comfort during use.
5.Easy Installation: Opt for raised toilet seats that can be installed easily and securely without the need for additional tools.
6.Anti Slip: The seat should have an anti-slip surface to prevent any accidents.
7.Handles: Handles or armrests can provide extra support for the user when sitting down or standing up.
Safety Recommendations for the Use of Raised Toilet Seats:
- Use it gentle ! Over-exerting pressure on the seat can lead to accidents especially when they are made with plastic.
- For Raised seats without handles, if possible, combine their use with sturdy grab bars installed in the bathroom. These fixtures can provide additional support when standing up or sitting down.
- Ensure the seat is securely attached to the toilet before use. A loose seat can lead to instability and potential falls.
Best Raised Toilet Seats For Seniors:
1. Carex Toilet Seat Riser
The Carex Toilet Seat Riser is a universal toilet seat accessory designed to aid the elderly, seniors, the handicapped, and those recovering from surgery. It provides an additional 5 inches in height to your toilet, facilitating a safer and easier experience.
The product fits on both standard round and elongated toilets and doesn’t require any tool for installation. It features anti-slip pads on the bottom for stability and a contoured shape for comfort. Its wide sitting area and molded lip inside the bowl further improve user experience.
This toilet seat riser supports up to 300 pounds and is easy to move from one bathroom to another.
- Provides an additional 5 inches of height to your toilet
- Supports up to 300 lbs
- Easy installation: no tools or assembly required
- Universal fit for both round and elongated toilets
- Slip-resistant with anti-slip pads on the bottom
- Wide and contoured seating area for comfort
- Portable and easy to clean
- Not fully secured to the toilet
- May not be comfortable for long periods
- May not be suitable for taller individuals or those with longer legs
- Opening may be a bit small for some users
- “Works as intended. But just know, it is hard plastic type construction. I was grateful to have it after a major surgery.” – Diane Sanchez
- “Bought this for my elderly mother who’s knees are bad with arthritis. She has a hard time getting up from a low sitting position, so this a great help to her!” – sophia thompson
- “Loved the height just not that it’s not fully secured.” – Al G
- “Top quality toilet seat riser. At first, I thought it didn’t fit the toilet but it did with the seat raised. Great plastic quality, easy to clean and mount. Very stable.” – JGenz
- “My husband has severe arthritis in his knees and uses a walker. Before we got the riser, he was unable to get off the toilet and almost impossible for me to help him get up. Now that we have the riser, he is able to get up unassisted and much easier on his knees.” – Susan in Missouri
- “This is made for a smaller person. I can tell there would be some instability if I were a larger person. The opening is a bit too small for it to be ideally functional. I have to do re-positioning in order to wipe.” – FairGame
2. Toilet Seat Riser with Arms by Vive
The Toilet Seat Riser with Arms by Vive is an indispensable bathroom tool for those with mobility challenges. The product provides an extra 3.5″ of height, reducing the need for bending and twisting. This makes sitting and standing much easier, providing peace of mind and increased independence for users.
The riser fits safely on any toilet with an interior lip for added stability and security. The design allows for tool-free installation under an existing toilet seat, which makes the assembly process easy and hassle-free.
The riser features removable, corrosion-resistant handles padded with a soft, closed-cell foam, ensuring a comfortable and secure grip. It boasts durable composite construction, supporting up to 300 pounds.
The product is easy to clean, a feature that adds to its user-friendly nature.
- Easy tool-free installation
- Removable and comfortable grip handles
- Durable composite construction supporting up to 300 pounds
- Compatible with existing toilet seats
- Easy to clean with traditional disinfectant solutions
- May require buying a new toilet seat to fit on top of the riser
- Not compatible with some non-standard toilet sizes
- “My 92-year-old Dad really likes the toilet seat riser. The side handles help him so much to stand up. The higher toilet seat makes it easier for him to get up also.” – Bethany B
- “This toilet seat riser was just what I needed for my 90 YO Dad’s visit to my home. It was easy to install, and it’s been easy to clean.” – R.J
- “Very thankful for this company: online ordering was open until 9 pm so I was able to have questions answered…It arrived before the promised date and was in place before my total hip replacement.” – Mar1ah
3. HealthSmart Raised Toilet Seat Riser
The HealthSmart Raised Toilet Seat Riser is #1 Best Seller in Amazon Raised Toilet Seats. It adds 5 inches to the height of any standard toilet bowl.
This toilet seat riser also includes three large slip-resistant pads that adhere to the toilet bowl.
- Made from sturdy and durable plastic
- Universal size that fits most standard toilets
- Supports up to 250 lbs
- Provides 5 inches of additional height for enhanced comfort and elevation
- Comes with 3 large slip-resistant pads for stability
- No assembly required and easily portable
- May not fit well with some toilet lids/seats
- Some users reported it tends to move slightly over time
- “HealthSmart Raised Toilet Seat Riser fits and works great. My wife has severe mobility issues and finds this seat riser to be an excellent aid to toileting.” – Robert K
- “After knee surgery it’s easier and less stress on knees to sit on the pot. Highly recommend for post-surgery patients.” – If the Shoe fits….
- “I just recently had back surgery. Too low to go with back issues. This is a life saver!!! Just make sure you know if your toilet is round or elongated before purchasing.” – luckyme
Be informed that the most suitable device is the one which include features such as secure fitting, appropriate height, sturdy weight support, comfort, easy installation, anti-slip characteristics, and, optionally, armrests or handles.
It is equally important to consider the user’s specific needs when selecting these bathroom aids. There is more sophisticated solutions like Toilet seat lifters or basic ones like toilet rails. All depends on your needs.
The above-reviewed raised toilet seats provide excellent examples of what’s available in the market, each with its unique features and benefits.
However, seniors often require assistance in other areas of their daily life. It is equally important to ensure safety and provide support in other parts of the house, such as the bedroom or living room. For instance, investing in bed rail to help them stand up from bed can greatly help seniors in their daily life.
Similarly, getting up from a sofa can be a struggle for some seniors. So, consider investing in some couch standing aids.
A seasoned SEO specialist and a writer for gaming, senior well-being, and ride-on toys. With an analytical mind, sharpened by 14 years of experience as a finance controller. His unique ability to create engaging content is only exceeded by his skill in leveraging SEO strategies, a talent driven by his love for numbers and patterns.